Monday, September 10, 2007

iStill love the radio too!


I always love the articles at Mental Floss, but one of the blogs today struck me as very serious. The author was discussing how he loved his iPod but he still loved the radio. Then he quoted a teenager who asked, “Why would I want someone else to pick my playlist?”

Why would you?

Well, it seems to me that as that freedom of choice is only as good as our exposure to different choices. If all I ever heard was what I wanted to hear, then my views of life would be pretty myopic. Some of the best ideas, music, books, and thoughts that I have ever been exposed to were not those I choose to hear, but rather those that others introduced me to . . . sometimes against my will.

Granted I don't listen to most Huntsville stations because they play the same things over and over and over again. BUT if I never listened to stations, records, etc. where someone else made the choices I would have missed out on so much in this life.

Let's hear it for listening to other people's play lists!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I need to listen more often because here are MTV's nominees for Monster hit of the year:

Daughtry "Home"
Fall Out Boy "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs"
Avril Lavigne "Girlfriend"
Lil Mama "Lip Gloss"
Mims "This Is Why I'm Hot"
Plain White T's "Hey There Delilah"
Rihanna f/ Jay-Z "Umbrella"
Shop Boyz "Party Like A Rock Star"
T-Pain f/ Yung Joc "Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin')"
Timbaland f/ Keri Hilson, D.O.E. & Sebastian "The Way I Are"

First off, what's going on in our education system? Second, I know three songs and six artists. Only Avril's "Girlfriend" is one that I heard without seeking it out on the internet. BTW Umbrella won. But when Rihanna was singing at the MTV awards, my husband walked by and said, "Who's that?" (At least I "know" her because she was on All My Children.) I was impressed because she was singing her song "Shut up and drive" rock-style with Fall Out Boy backing her up. My husband said, "I don't think they are really playing. I heard they're terrible live."

So there you go, We are out-of-touch and cranky.