Sunday, December 30, 2007

Gotta Love those Libraries


Love in the library
Quiet and cool
Love in the library
There are no rules
Surrounded by stories
Surreal and sublime
I fell in love in the library
Once upon a time
Jimmy Buffett

I've always loved libraries. In fact, when I was in elementary school, I would play library the way other kids played school. I even categorized my books. Then in high school, I thought seriously about becoming a librarian. Some days, it still sounds good--days spent in the quiet company of books and more books. And I especially look back on my days taking the kids to the library several times a week for story time, checking out books and videos, and just for a place to get out of the house.

Of course, folks have been predicting the death of the library for years now. So today's news about libraries and Generation Y made me very happy! Seems Generation Y adults--like Jimmy Buffett and me--love the library. And interestingly enough, the more they use the internet, the more likely they are to visit the library!

So I'll see y'all at the library!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, the internet is just a tool to fill up my TBR list.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Having Fun Isn't Hard When You Have a Library Card

Anonymous said...

Yes, I practically live at the Belmont library when I'm there. Either that or the practice rooms.

Anonymous said...

I hope that's a musical number from Arthur.

Yes!!! It is!!!

Anonymous said...

Working in a library and being in a library are not the same. It is not as exciting checking books in/out and putting them on shelves. Now reading, researching, helping others find books that they would like to read or might interest them is the fun part, but it is the restocking that takes up most of ones time. That is boring, and I think you would soon find that you would not be so impressed with the job.