Friday, February 8, 2008

What are you doing for Lent?


Here are these week's questions from RevGalBlogPals:

1. Did you celebrate Mardi Gras and/or Ash Wednesday this week? How?
I celebrated Mardi Gras by voting and attending a Church Council meeting. Not too exciting (although my candidate (No Jeff, not Huckabee) did win our primary!) And Ash Wednesday I observed by participating in our Ash Wednesday service. This year I was particularly moved as I imposed ashes on people because I knew many of their stories. I think it also helped that I had to think through how to explain what we were about to do to the confirmation class (Thanks Tony!) and watching those young people come forward to receive their ashes was also moving.

2. What was your most memorable Mardi Gras/Ash Wednesday/Lent?
Gee--I don't know that I have had a most memorable Mardi Gras/Ash Wednesday/Lent.

3. Did you/your church/your family celebrate Lent as a child? If not, when and how did you discover it?
I didn't grow up participating in Lent. In fact, I remember one year when my sister announced she was giving up something for Lent and I said, "We're Methodist! Not Catholic!" I started observing Lent in my early adulthood. I had a job that required a lot of travel and I found myself traveling during Lent with an Episcopalian who observed Lent and I joined in with her.

4. Are you more in the give-up camp, or the take-on camp, or somewhere in between?
I'm in the in-between camp. I suspect the best way to observe Lent is to do both.

5. How do you plan to keep Lent this year?
This year I am observing Lent by adding evening prayer to my daily routine and at least a weekly act of social justice. My devotional practice is based on Covenant Discipleship groups which ask each week what acts of devotion, compassion, worship and justice I have done and the justice square is usually empty! The reason I'm not giving up a particular item this Lent is that I'm already on Weight Watchers so . . .

Anyone else want to share?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but could you explain the relation between Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday???

Pastor Sherill said...

Actually, I've changed my mind, I do have a favorite Lent. The year all three of my kids decided to give up meat for Lent (on their own and with no prompting on our part). This coincided with year we took them all to New York City for Spring Break and they all three kept to their fast despite much, much temptation. It was one of the moments when I thought perhaps I'd done something right in their religious upbringing.