Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Thoughts on Matthew 11:25-30

25At that time Jesus said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; 26yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:25-30”

This Sunday at New Life, we will continue our focus on what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. What does it mean when Jesus says that his truth has been revealed not to the wise and intelligent but to infants? What does that say about us?

Like the Statue of Liberty, Jesus calls the weary and burdened to come to him. He promises rest but then he immediately tells us to take his yoke upon us and there we will find rest. At this time of year when we celebrate liberty, what does it mean to choose to yoke ourselves to Christ?

At many of our churches, we will celebrate Holy Communion this Sunday. In the sacrament, Christ is revealed to us in the breaking of the bread and the drinking of the wine. What does Jesus' remarks about revealing himself to infants rather than to the wise say to us about who can come to the communion table?

No comments: