Tuesday, November 4, 2008

How Long Ago Did This Line Start, Anyway?

From Wayne Floyd's blog, Blogging Thomas, a beautiful story from today's election
Voting for the first time in a new neighborhood, I arrived at my polling place this morning at 6:30 a.m. to find a line down one side of the block and halfway up another. Just in front of me was an octogenarian African American matriarch, dressed to the nines, and proudly refusing all offers to move up in line or to sit down in someone’s folding chair.

I took my place in line at the same time as a twenty-something young man, who with the air of entitlement that only youth can fully muster, loudly complained: “How long ago did this line start, anyway?!”

“Honey,” the elder in front of me replied, “…This line began a looooong time ago … way, way, way before even your mama was born!” “Speak it, Sister” somebody further in front of us chimed in, in response to which the sage of Farragut Street added her parting shot to all who would listen: “You need to know that I can remember when we couldn’t even be in line to vote! So don’t you mouth off about the line being sooo looong! All you had to do was show up!”



That puts my one and a half hour wait in perspective!

If you haven't voted yet, go get in that line that began long before your Mama was born! After all--all you have to do is show up!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Wow...great perspective! I hope that got him quiet.. :)