Tuesday, June 16, 2009

'The Shelf Of Constant Reproach': Best Books You Never Read


On NPR today, there was an interesting article, 'The Shelf Of Constant Reproach': Best Books You Never Read. So I began to think of the LARGE numbers of books I have meant to read, but somehow haven't. So here is a list of some of the best books, I've never read:

1. The Brothers Karamazov. Some have called this the greatest novel ever written. I've made it about 1/3 of the way through. Someday I'll finish it!

2. Ulysses. In honor of Bloomsday, I may as well admit I haven't read Ulysses. I have a hard enough time making it through Joyce's short stories!

3. Sound and Fury. I made it about 1/4 of the way through, but I just couldn't follow it. I did, however, make it through the Electric Kool-aid Acid test which was just about as crazy--but it was required reading.

4. Anything by D.H. Lawrence. No reason. I just haven't.

So what is on your shelf of constant reproach?

1 comment:

Kim S said...

now that you're ordained and all, you probably need to avoid DH Lawerence - at least Lady Cha...