Thursday, April 12, 2007

So It Goes . . . In Memory of Kurt Vonnegut 1922-2007


I don't believe I have read a Vonnegut book since I was a teenager. But it is hard to let this day go by without a tribute to the man who helped shape my rather skewed sense of humor about life. So here are a collection of Vonnegut quotes to keep his memory alive.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand

There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president. "Cold Turkey", In These Times, May 10, 2004

Here's what I think the truth is: We are all addicts of fossil fuels in a state of denial, about to face cold turkey. Cold Turkey

Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops. Slaughterhouse Five

"What is the purpose of life? ------ To be the eyes, and ears, and conscience of the creator of the universe; you fool." Breakfast of Champions

People don't come to church for preachments, of course, but to daydream about God. Palm Sunday sermon St Clement's Episcopal Church, quoted by J. Leonard NY Times, 30 April 1980

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

We are what we pretend to be, but we better be very careful what we pretend.

All the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.

And so it goes. Slaughterhouse Five

2 comments:

Craig Clontz said...

I've been feeling rather unstuck in time today too since hearing the news....

Amy said...

great quotes!