Monday, May 10, 2010

Tripping Over Joy


What is the difference
Between your experience of Existence
And that of a saint?

The saint knows
That the spiritual path
Is a sublime chess game with God

And that the Beloved
Has just made such a Fantastic Move

That the saint is now continually
Tripping over Joy
And bursting out in Laughter
And saying, “I Surrender!”

Whereas, my dear,
I am afraid you still think

You have a thousand serious moves.


From “I Heard God Laughing” by Hafiz (14th Century Persian Poet)

When the kids were younger, we used to have a computer version of the game Mancala. The game featured a wise observer who when you made a good move would say, "You are thinking many moves ahead."

I've always thought many moves ahead and sometimes it is a good characteristic. But when it comes to the things of God, thinking many moves ahead is not necessarily a good thing. As I could out-think and out-plan God!

A wise nun introduced me to this poem today and I almost laughed when she told me about it. And perhaps I should have because it is definitely time to quit thinking many (serious) moves ahead and start laughing and surrendering!

No comments: