Saturday, July 23, 2011

Questions about God


• Why does God care? There are billions of people on this planet, yet we teach that God has a personal, caring relationship with each one. Why does God need or feel compelled to do this?

• Since childhood, I have wondered why God, that can do anything and make anything happen, would allow natural disasters to occur and cause death and suffering of many people around the world?

• If God is all-powerful, all-loving, and all-good, why is there so much suffering in the world? Does God will suffering?

• If there IS a God, why does he let bad things happen? Especially to good people and to children?

• I grew up in a church that taught God controlled everything. I always struggle with this when I would see a child hurting. I would ask “why is God letting this happen." Is there any scripture that helps explain this?

• Even as a Christian and a person of faith, I still wonder why there is so much hurt in the world... so much pain.   Why men hurt their wives, children.   Why children die, are kidnapped, abused.    I know Satan is alive and well and the cause, but sometimes it seems too much.    I wonder by God allows it.   During tornadoes, earthquakes, etc., why some families make it and others don't.

• Last week you briefly touched on that you believe that God did not create cancer, does not let bad things happen, etc., even though, as you said, many Christians take that approach.  I would like to see more along this subject

• The first question in my catechism as a child was, Who is God?
○ Answer was: God is the creator of heaven and earth and of all things.
○ It's not really an adequate answer, is it?

• Why did God punish Moses by not letting him see the Promised Land? 

• Does God have any regrets?

• I've often wondered why God made some nasty insects, like cockroaches, beetles, mosquitos, fire ants, flies, scorpions, snakes, spiders, and probably a lot more I'm not thinking of right now.  I know frogs, and purple martins have to eat, but why didn't he make these nasty things so they don't hurt us and are only a food source!

• Other than faith, what proof do we have that God exists? Are we all just running around praising, worshipping, and loving an "idea" rather than an actual God? I agree, there would be chaos without the morals and values that come with the Christian God, but truthfully, how do we know that the Christian God is the one that truly exists.

No comments: